EXP: 5025 / 5110
5025 / 5110

XBL Gamertag: HoFKSugaFree
PSN ID: HoFKSugaFree
Steam ID: SugaFree
Wii-U ID: SugaFree3000
3DS code: 4167-4952-3231
Nintendo ID: SugaFree3000
Ok, so I been wanting to write something about fighting games but I never taken the time do it. I will be a making a list of shit that is common in the fighting game community and other fighting game shit in general. This will basically be a listing of how to train, what to expect and how you can be a part of the FGC

1. Learn the fundamentals - The the best way to learn the fundamentals of a game is to play the classics. My personal choice is Street Fighter 2: Hyper Fighting. Even though Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo is the standard for tournaments, Hyper Fighting is the "go to" game for learning how the game works. The motions in the game are tough, the poking game is effective and there are no super combos in the game. It is a "pure" form of Street Fighter.

2. No bitching - This is where it all starts, from both beginners and veterans. The problem with bitching is that people will bitch; regardless of what others will say. If you start shouting "MAN FIREBALL SPAMMING IS FOR NOOBS WHO CAN'T COMBO" or "X character IS FOR FAGS" then you might as well take your hands off the buttons now. The only ones who will probably tolerate this shit will be your friends. Before you start complaining about the game, try to LEARN. I dn't mean in the sense of just practicing combos all day in Training mode (i will get to that later) but you should be a spectator before diving into a game. Visual learn, not just mashing buttons. Learning is part of the game and people will play a certain way in order to irritate you, which brings me to my next point.

3. Mind Games
- This is where you literally mess with the other opponent. Think about shit talking: it is supposed to get you nervous so that you can start messing up. There are certain tactics in the game such as keep away that will irritate you to no end and you will want to give up. Well, that is the point. Mind games is an essentially part of any fighting game (or any "competitive" game for that matter). It is up to you to keep calm. There is a reason why a lot of people at tournaments choose to wear headsets when they are playing. They cancel out the noise and focus only on the game. Even when shit looks hopeless, people still manage to come out on top.

4. Practice does not make perfect
- You take the time in training mode; practice your touch of death combos and after hours on end you decide to take on an opponent. Problem is, THEY KEEP MOVING! One of the biggest misconceptions of fighting games is that training mode helps you beat other people. The only way to really know if you can beat others if you take the time to play with others. Yes, training mode is a helpful tool; it is a great way for someone to learn combos. Problem is that it doesn't always translate into the actual game. Do yourself a favor and play with real human opponents. A computer will not suffice.

5. Acceptance isn't handed out, it has to be earned - I was once a scrub myself. Barely knew how to play the game, just mashed buttons and hoped for the best. I eventually got my hands on home versions of games started to learn. I decided to take my skills to the arcade. I got my ass handed to me on a silver platter. And this was before there was a huge online scene and it was from a crowd that wasn't exactly accepting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGoB_vVm ... re=related

Skip to about 2:15. You will see people celebrating on a win, imagine when it was for a lose lol. These are the types I played with, not someone you want to fuck with.

I keep coming back to the arcade, not just some kid who mashes buttons but someone who actually tries to learn Marvel vs. Capcom 2. It isn't about me being good or bad, it is the fact that I kept coming back. It shows that I was INTERESTED. This was when peeps starts to talk to me about the game. They acknowledged the fact that I wanted to learn.

The same goes for my first couple of years in college. We had an arcade at my school. I was playing Third Strike. I was sort of familiar with the game by then but still bad. Again, just like the the scenario with Marvel, I was accepted by a certain group of people because I showed time and time again that I was interested. If I was any other stranger who would have come today and gone tomorrow, no one would give that person any tips. But someone who shows repeated interest, coming day after day, showing up to play and you will be accepted. In fact, most of the people I play with happen to be old (maybe even older than Blokey :o ) Veterans from Street Fighter 2 days, the people who were there when Evo was still small to the Daigo Parry to current shit. And they happen to be good people

6. Fighting game community are not bad people
- Here is where I tend to put my foot down. I played with a lot of people. Not just friends, but local dudes who hit up the arcade or play locally at someones house (Like what me and Twilight did at Don's Arcade) and most of the people there are really cool dudes. They aren't douchebag assholes that you listen to online or those dickheads who post on a forum. No, they are full of good people to the point where I see all this hate and I think "well shit, these are homies!"

Case in point, Clockw0rk. The dude is a legend among the Marvel vs Capcom 2 circles as he popularized a team that not too many people used. A great player, but also a great guy! Just last week he held an event in Southern California called Fight For Youth. It was designed as a charity event to build up some cash for local schools. Lots of top players, including the likes of Justin Wong, Combofiend, Mike Ross and Fanatiq. Hell, even the 8 year old kid Noah went to the event.

Thing is, it is the online community that brings out the worst. These cats with their armchair philosophies on the game is not something I condone. At the same time however, this shit is normal. You have people who are assholes and people who aren't. Blokey said something about 98% of people are dicks and 2% are good people, but I think the average is more of a 50/50 split and this remains true with any community. There will always be good people and bad people, it is just about taking in the good and ignoring the bad. People like Aris doesn't represent the whole FGC, but he certainly does represent a part of it.

7. Above all else, just have fun
- What I enjoy most about these games is how fun they are. Playing with friends and/or random people, I enjoy my time. Win or lose. Shit talking or handshakes.

Haggen daz, pringles, happy birthdays, Diego Umejuarez, random supers and LEETS GOO JUSTIIIIIIN is all part of the culture. All the screaming, chanting and trash talk makes the community. The crazy nature of it all is what makes it fun. If you don't enjoy the crazy, well then you should just stick with the games that you enjoy and not worry about the rest of us.

(Hope you can ignore the large amount of spelling errors, run-on sentences and general lack of understanding of the English language.)

TLDR Version - Learn the game, play hard, stop crying, people are cool and enjoy your pringles with scoops of Haggen Daz.

Smokey wrote:
Godspeed, brave adventurer, and keep your pimp hand strong.

Post subject: Re: For the peeps who want to get into fighting games
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:35 pm 
Level: 78 Chump
HP: 12910 / 40346
12910 / 40346
MP: 19263 / 19263
19263 / 19263
EXP: 18622 / 18735
18622 / 18735

XBL Gamertag: Blokeh
PSN ID: Blokeh
Steam ID: Blokeh
Wii system code: 2445-8086-3386-0718
I would like to add that, unknown to some, most fighting games have a "CPU" option in their training mode, meaning you can train hours on end against a moving opponent without having to select characters every few minutes, and you can specify the difficulty of the opponent too. Incredibly handy.

And if we're talking FGC as a whole, 50/50 is more like it. If we're talking the online FGC, then I stand by my 98/2. I've played with groups of people who were actually there and not online, and they were all great people. But give a person an internet connection to hide by, and you have Joh Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory in action.

Everything else, as a long-time-but-not-expert fighting game player, I'd say you're on the bob there. :yes:

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:25 am 
Level: 18 Squire
HP: 0 / 711
0 / 711
MP: 339 / 339
339 / 339
EXP: 405 / 417
405 / 417

Those points pretty much apply to any game actually

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:17 am 
Level: 46 Alchemist
HP: 448 / 7478
448 / 7478
MP: 3570 / 3570
3570 / 3570
EXP: 3606 / 3828
3606 / 3828

XBL Gamertag: PantsOfJustice
PSN ID: TalesOfPants
Torez wrote:
Those points pretty much apply to any game actually

This.

Generally, I won't even put on a headset when I play online, and if someone sends me a message, I delete it immediately. Not worth the stress. If I can see that the message was nice, or asking a legit question, I'll reply. If I hear them say something like, "Hey, good game." I'll pop on the headset and reply in kind.

If they're just a flaming dickwad, I ignore it. It's not even worth it to mute them most of the time because they tend to make fools of themselves, and in a game like Halo, their constant babbling lets you know when they're nearby.

For fighting games specifically, the only times I've ever been really good with a fighting game is when I've spent countless hours learning everything about it. That's really the only way. I love KoFXIII, but I recognize that my command input ability currently is far too slow to be competitive, and I don't have the time to improve it. Solution? Don't play it competitively. I play with friends.

My Win/Loss in a game usually means nothing to me, just like my K/D ratio usually means nothing to me in a shooter.

Do I want to do good? Of course. Would I rather just have fun rather than fretting about shit like stats and acceptance? Yep. Are there times where I get frustrated to a point where it isn't fun and I don't feel it's worth it to continue being a part of that community when I don't have the time to put in the effort? Of course.

One of the best things about not being that good at a fighting game is that people try to show off or try to get cute. Which gives me the time to finally put in motion a combo I had learned that finishes them off, and they RAAAAAAAAGE. Also, people who ragequit matches frequently enough should get permabanned, imo.

『絶対逃ガサナイカラ』