MP: 15340 / 15340
15340 / 15340
EXP: 14727 / 15112
14727 / 15112

XBL Gamertag: Atomic Deke
PSN ID: Dogfaced_God
HGW XX/7 wrote:
Smokey wrote:
Okay, I consider myself to be one of those COD-bashing hipsters, but looking at things objectively, COD: MW completely changed the way FPS games are done, and that influence has spread to other genres throughout the industry. Now, EVERYONE does killstreaks. Now, EVERYONE uses the perks system that COD introduced, sometimes without changing a goddamn word in the title of a perk. Now, fucking EVERYONE puts a zombie mode in their game. Now, EVERYONE that releases a game with a heavy emphasis on multiplayer releases map packs that are often mostly rehashed maps from previous iterations of that franchise. Now, many game developers are forgoing game length for popcorn gameplay, jumping from setpiece to bigger setpiece to even bigger setpiece, with little to no downtime in between for pacing. Why is this? Well, it worked for COD, so why wouldn't it work elsewhere? Even COD's biggest rivals in the genre, MoH and Battlefield, games that were touted for providing a different experience than COD, took their cues from COD with their latest installments.

SF may have changed the way fighting games are done, but if you're seriously gonna sit there and tell me that SF has had more of an effect on the gaming industry than COD, you are mentally ill.

There is so much wrong with this post, I don't know where to begin.

I'll just say it's obvious you haven't really played CoD or Battlefield or you'd know that they haven't really done much copying of eachother at all.

Lots of trash-talking from the companies and fans, but VERY different games.

Also, you make it sound like the arcadey Multiplayer aspects of CoD have become standard in all FPS games, when, I can't think of even one which has copied that model, actually (MAYBE MoH, never played it).

From what I've heard, the campaign in Battlefield 3 is pretty much a straight ripoff of the COD style of popcorn gameplay. I've also heard that Battlefield 3 is the first time there's been a Team Deathmatch mode in a Battlefield multiplayer game, something that, incidentally, is also in COD. If any of that is incorrect, feel free to speak up.

HGW XX/7 wrote:
Most 'modern war' type FPS games have a ranking/unlock system where you can unlock new weapons and weapon mods. That wasn't CoD that introduced (or even popularized) that. That's been around since Rainbow Six: Lockdown on the first XBOX (in terms of the first time I personally saw it), and was made much more prevalent in Rainbow Six: Vegas and Vegas 2.

Admittedly, what I know about the Rainbox Six games would fit on the tip of my pinky, but how similar is COD's system to Rainbow Six's?

HGW XX/7 wrote:
CoD's the only game I know that has a Zombie mode outside of the Undead Nightmare add-on for RDR.

CoD's Zombie mode is nothing more than their version of Horde/Firefight/Any Mode Where a Team Faces Waves of Enemies.

That shit's been around for a while.

COD's zombie mode was the catalyst for the zombie craze that the industry went through, is what I was getting at. You've got L4D, Undead Nightmare, Dead Nation, Dead Island, and many more games and addons. Sure, zombies had a large presence in the gaming realm before COD, but they were in survival horror games for the most part, stretched out over console generations. Now? Zombies everywhere, often in games that they have no business being in.

HGW XX/7 wrote:
CoD isn't the first to do the map packs and stuff either, but they're the first to raise the price without raising the content in the packs,

Pretty much exactly what I said.

HGW XX/7 wrote:
and other company's so far haven't really followed suit.

Really? Look at this whole online pass strategy that's been all the rage with companies these days. It's got its roots in the move that Activision made with the price hike for the map packs. Uncharted 3 is a prime example of that. The very first DLC pack it released was repurposed content from Uncharted 2.

HGW XX/7 wrote:
CoD has evolved within itself a LOT, but in terms of actual 'innovation' within, it's pretty much limited to perks and Killstreak rewards, which so far I haven't seen make an appearance in any other FPS I've played.

The only effect CoD's really had on the industry is that it's sold a shitton of copies, and good on it for doing so.

Admittedly, I haven't played Battlefield 3, but I listened to the Game Informer podcast that covered it, and the reviewers said straight up that Battlefield 3's perks and killstreak system cast in the same mold that COD was made in, sometimes without even changing the nature or even the name of the perks. Sounds like an appearance to me.

Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Post subject: Re: The 10 Most Insulting Things Video Games Charged Money F
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:16 am 
Level: 78 Chump
HP: 12910 / 40346
12910 / 40346
MP: 19263 / 19263
19263 / 19263
EXP: 18622 / 18735
18622 / 18735

XBL Gamertag: Blokeh
PSN ID: Blokeh
Steam ID: Blokeh
Wii system code: 2445-8086-3386-0718
Smokey wrote:
COD's zombie mode was the catalyst for the zombie craze that the industry went through, is what I was getting at. You've got L4D, Undead Nightmare, Dead Nation, Dead Island, and many more games and addons. Sure, zombies had a large presence in the gaming realm before COD, but they were in survival horror games for the most part, stretched out over console generations. Now? Zombies everywhere, often in games that they have no business being in.

LOLFRIGGINWAT?

Resident Evil says "say that to my face fucker not online and see what happens".

As does Dead Rising (2006), Left 4 Dead (6 days after W@W, but ALL about zombies, not just one game mode), Dead Space (also long time in development), and the Evil Dead series, to name but a few.

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:38 am 
Level: 73 Assmunch
HP: 8032 / 32129
8032 / 32129
MP: 15340 / 15340
15340 / 15340
EXP: 14727 / 15112
14727 / 15112

XBL Gamertag: Atomic Deke
PSN ID: Dogfaced_God
Blokeymon wrote:
Smokey wrote:

LOLFRIGGINWAT?

Resident Evil says "say that to my face fucker not online and see what happens".

As does Dead Rising (2006), Left 4 Dead (6 days after W@W, but ALL about zombies, not just one game mode), Dead Space (also long time in development), and the Evil Dead series, to name but a few.

Smokey wrote:

Read that bolded bit. Resident Evil? Started back on the PS1. Evil Dead? Started on Commodore. Dead Rising? Started this gen (Dead Space doesn't count, as Necromorphs aren't actually zombies). All spaced out, as I said. Then after W@W, FUCKING ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE THE END TIMES HAVE COME.

I was mistaken with L4D, though; for some reason I was thinking W@W had released in '07.

Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Post subject: Re: Who has been more innovative - COD or SF?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:28 am 
Level: 52
HP: 862 / 10781
862 / 10781
MP: 5147 / 5147
5147 / 5147
EXP: 5127 / 5401
5127 / 5401

XBL Gamertag: Ax8472
PSN ID: Ax8472
Steam ID: Ax8472
3DS code: 2681-1146-3380
NO chance, Sorry Smokes but no way did that game have such a zombie effect on the industry. I simply can't accept that.

It was a little extra game mode that it had, and the reason it had it was because the industry was already going through a zombie craze again. WaW was just another game following the trend, not setting it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:08 am 
Level: 50 Squire
HP: 766 / 9575
766 / 9575
MP: 4571 / 4571
4571 / 4571
EXP: 4814 / 4830
4814 / 4830

XBL Gamertag: MatthewSFC
PSN ID: MatthewSFC
Steam ID: MatthewSFC
Smokey wrote:
From what I've heard, the campaign in Battlefield 3 is pretty much a straight ripoff of the COD style of popcorn gameplay. I've also heard that Battlefield 3 is the first time there's been a Team Deathmatch mode in a Battlefield multiplayer game, something that, incidentally, is also in COD. If any of that is incorrect, feel free to speak up.

Campaign probably is I give you that. Team deathmatch was also in Bad Company 2. It's quite crazy that it hasn't been in other Battlefield games (correct me if I'm wrong, I've only played BC1,2,1943 and 3) as it really is the lowest standard in a MP game. That said Battlefield tends to lean more towards the objective side of things.

Smokey wrote:
Admittedly, what I know about the Rainbox Six games would fit on the tip of my pinky, but how similar is COD's system to Rainbow Six's?

My only experience of Rainbow Six games is Vegas 2 and that had new weapons, outfits, gadgets unlocking as you leveled up.

Treyarch shook CODS levelling up a little bit in Black Ops, with guns unlocking when you got to a certain level but rather than them immediatley being able to be used like in previous titles, you had to purchase them with COD points, same with attatchments, perks and all that jazz.

I did what IW have done in MW3 with weapons having a rank of their own, as you rank them up unlocking weapon skins and proficiencies. The proficiencies are standard stuff, there's one so you can have two attachments on your weapon (used to be a perk) one that reduces weapon kick, one makes weapons better at a range, another that makes weapons more stable when aiming down the site. Those are all that I can remember at the moment.

Smokey wrote:

I see where you're coming from but I wouldn't say that all these zombie games are here because of the Zombie mode on COD, they've been around for a while now. I think however with COD, Halo and Gears of War all having a sorta 'survival' mode, other developers realised that it's a really popular mode and implemented them in their games Uncharted and Saints Row for example.

Smokey wrote:
Look at this whole online pass strategy that's been all the rage with companies these days. It's got its roots in the move that Activision made with the price hike for the map packs. Uncharted 3 is a prime example of that. The very first DLC pack it released was repurposed content from Uncharted 2.

I don't think the online pass really has got anything to do with Activision, for one big reason -

1) Their games don't use them, or at least Call of Duty doesn't.
If you're going to bring the online pass system up we should have a look at how EA used it, particularly with Battlefield Bad Company 2. By having a an online pass (£7.99 or free with the game if bought new) we were promised free map packs and content. What we instead got was the same maps that were already in the game just now they were optimised for the other game modes. :facepalm: Talk about screwing the consumer. Other than that I agree with the online pass system. We should probably have anotehr thread to talk about that if we don't.

Smokey wrote:
Admittedly, I haven't played Battlefield 3, but I listened to the Game Informer podcast that covered it, and the reviewers said straight up that Battlefield 3's perks and killstreak system cast in the same mold that COD was made in, sometimes without even changing the nature or even the name of the perks. Sounds like an appearance to me.

I don't think Battlefield 3 has killstreaks, I'm 99% sure of that. Someone else will have to back me up on that though. If you did want a helicopter, mortar, airstrike in Battlefield 3 though you'd have to get in teh vehicle and do it yourself :lol:

Perks making their way to other games is something I don't mind but in most games they're pretty much there because the developers said "well Call of Duty has them..." it's obvious. For example, Resistance 2 & 3 have these things called berserks (perks) which all seem so ridiculously out of place and make the multiplayer feel really unbalanced. Uncharted multiplayer is another that doesn't need the perks too, especially as they're (well they were in #2) pretty much copy paste of Call of Duty.

Killzone 3 did it right - You capture an onjective, you get double xp for a minute.
- You get 5 assists, you get extra 25% bullet damage
There are a few more but those are all I can't remember.

Excuse any spelling mistakes and all that jazz.

HGW XX/7 wrote:
Pokemon cockslaps Final Fantasy with a fury that is unknown to the human race.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:31 am 
12910 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

Goddamn I love Killzone 3 multiplayer... <3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:47 am 
766 / 9575
4571 / 4571
4814 / 4830

Blokeymon wrote:

Not sure if serious :o

HGW XX/7 wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:30 pm 
12910 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

Matthew wrote:
Blokeymon wrote:

Not sure if serious :o

TOTALLY FR SRS.

More pictures on my phone of similar domination, but yeah, KZ3MP FTW.

Need to play moar... :hmm:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:57 pm 
12910 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

Double post alert!

Matt's KZ3 ranking

My KZ3 ranking

I'm like 6 games behind catching you up. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:54 pm 
766 / 9575
4571 / 4571
4814 / 4830

Crikey, when you get past me I'll just say that my K/D is better than yours cause I'm a noob like that :P

I REALLY regret not buying Killzone 3 earlier, the MP is pretty much dead now. It really was damn fun to play, probably better than Killzone 2 (although my nostalgia tinted glasses are telling me not to say that).

http://killzone.wikia.com/wiki/Killzone_4

http://www.destructoid.com/killzone-4-g ... 6100.phtml

Giggidy.

HGW XX/7 wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:52 pm 
12910 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735